Illustration of Dysfunctional Thoughts Record


Author: Ushna Nawaz
Dysfunctional thoughts are the cognitive distortions that are mostly irrational. Such dysfunctional distortions are based on our assumptions. It usually has a negative influence on our mind and it’s functioning. 
Following are the ten categories of dysfunctional thoughts that are recognized until now: black and white thinking / all or none thinking, magical thinking that is further divided as fortune-telling and mind-reading, catastrophizing, over-generalizations, minimizing and maximizing, jumping to conclusions, personalization, labeling, emotional reasoning, and should and must. A scale can be used to recognize our thoughts and these thoughts are processed. 
            The Dysfunctional Thought Record is a tool of thought record that encourages the identification of any cognitive biases / cognitive errors that are processing. This can be explained by the following example:
Date/ Time
Situation
Mood/ Emotion

(0-100)
Dysfunctional Thoughts

(0-100)
Alternative Rational Thought
(0-100)
Mood/ Emotion

(0-100)
9-6-2020
After having a meeting. I had a meeting with a foreigner. It was my first time, to talk to an anonymous foreigner for a professional meeting.
I was chaotic and anxious.
(75)
I didn’t perform well. It was total flop. I can’t do anything right, ever.
(80)
(Maximizing, Labeling and Disqualifying the positives)
I was good at giving my point of view during meeting. The other person was also appreciating me. You aren’t like this always.
(85)
I was calm and relax. I was less chaotic. 
(92)

16-6-2020
The release of instagram version of promotional video. In that video due to some reason my picture was looking hideous.
I was embarrassed and anxious.
(90)
You aren’t beautiful at all. You always look this way. If there was some other person, he or she would have been looking pretty even this way. You must ask them to cut your clip from video.
(85)
(Maximizing, Disqualifying the positives, and Labeling)

It’s alright, it was just a promotional video, and you were looking that way because camera wasn’t placed correctly. And it’s just a promotional video; your task here is to convey a message not to look beautiful. The other person was also appreciating me and insisted on keeping my clip.
(95)
I relax and unashamed. I must keep the video.
(97)

Comments